How To Write An Inquiry Letter – Format & Sample Download
An inquiry letter is written to seek information and detail about products or services. This may be study course, vacation trip, company detail, conference or anything. Here, you can get the step-by-step guidelines how to write an inquiry letter.
Also you can download the worked out samples of inquiry letters which are very helpful especially for Class-X & Class-XII CBSE students.
Generally, inquiry letters are written in response to an advertisement in newspaper or any ads media. However, you can write an inquiry letter to seek for any sort of information.
- Why should you write an inquiry letter?
- Tips to write an Inquiry Letter
- Format to write an Inquiry Letter
- Worked out examples and Free Downloads
Below are the most common reasons why you should learn how to write an inquiry letter:
- Seeking for the product details you saw in an advertisement
- Requesting the product catalogue, brochure, price chart
- Asking for the course details you are interested in
- Searching for the availability of books for your school library
- Enquiring officially about the delivery schedule of equipments, logistics, customs etc.
- Requesting the project details for tendering purpose
There are lot more reasons to write an inquiry letter. Hence, if you know the format and rules, you can write any type of inquiry letters according to your requirement.
Follow the below tips to write an inquiry letter in a proper way:
- Strictly follow the prescribed format of a formal letter to write an inquiry letter.
- Clearly mention the source where from you got the news or information to write an inquiry letter.
- Also disclose your profession or status (such as student, interested buyer, librarian, procurement division of your company etc.)
- Include your name and contact detail very clearly to get a quick response from the recipient
- Be polite in your writing language when you’re seeking information. Moreover, don’t use any informal word.
- Write in a precise and specific way. Hence, focus directly to the points why you need that information and what your action plan is.
- Write the main content of your letter in short paragraphs as far as practicable. However, you can explain in detail if your subject demands.
- Finally, choose the subject line carefully so that it can cover the summary of the letter.
Inquiry letter is basically a formal letter. Hence, it should follow the prescribed format of a formal letter.
Let’s check below the format of an inquiry letter:
The address and the contact details of the sender are written first on the top left corner. Also you can include email and phone no. of the sender.
Leave one line below the sender’s address and put the date of writing the letter.
Leave one line below the date and write down the recipient’s address details.
Leave one line below the recipient’s address and write down the subject line.
But the subject line must be short enough and it should cover the intention of your letter. Also it must be written in one line only.
Typical subject lines are:
“Requesting for information regarding ……..”;
“Enquiry regarding …….”
Start with “Dear Sir/Madam” or “Respected Sir/Madam”.
Also use a comma (,) after the salutation.
Body of the letter
This can be sub-divided into three parts:
Part-1: Your introduction and the reference where you have seen the advertisement or the purpose of writing the letter.
Part-2: Write down your detail requirement accordingly and all the information you need.
Part-3: Now, draw a conclusion by suggesting any solution, action required, your expectation etc.
Typical conclusion that you can use is like:
“Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hear from you soon.”
A complimentary closing is a polite way to convey your regards to the recipient.
As a complimentary closing, you can use “Yours sincerely” or “Yours faithfully”.
Moreover, don’t forget to use a comma (,) after the complimentary closing.
Sender’s name, signature and designation
Finally, leave another couple of lines for the last step—your name and signature.
Type your full name here.
Example-1: CBSE Exam Class-X (2017)
Question: You intend to join coaching classes at International Coaching Center situated in Raipur. The institute specializes in teaching science to classes XI – XII. Write a letter of enquiry in 100-120 words addressed to the Administrator incharge of the institute seeking clarification about the timings, duration, staff, transport and other necessary details for joining the institute. You are Rajesh/Rajni 2, Library Road Jabalpur.
|2, Library Road
July 06, 2020
The Administrator In-charge,
International Coaching Center,
Subject: Requesting for information to join at your coaching center
With reference to the advertisement published in “The Times of India” dated 03-July-2020, I would like to know some additional details about the science coaching class.
This year I have just completed my Class-X board exam and decided to get admission in science stream. Accordingly, I am interested to join in the science class of your coaching center. Please let me know the following details:
I look forward to hear from you soon.
Question: You have just finished your class-XII board exam and searching for new college to get admission. You have seen an advertisement in “The Hindustan Times” newspaper for college admission of new students this year. Accordingly, write a letter of enquiry in 100-120 words addressed to the Principal of the City College seeking information about admission criteria, procedure, fees structure and other necesary details. You are Shuvam 24/1, Salt Lake City, Kolkata.
|24/1, Salt Lake City,
July 06, 2020
Subject: Information regarding college admission procedure
With reference to the advertisement published in “The Hindustan Times” dated 02-July-2020, I would like to request you to provide some additional details about the admission process this year.
I have just completed my Class-XII board exam and expecting a good result which is scheduled to publish next month. Hence, I am searching for getting admission with Science stream in a reputed college. Please let me know the following details:
Thank you for your time and attention. I look forward to hear from you soon.
Since it’s a formal letter, always maintain the prescribed format to write an inquiry letter.
Your inquiry letter should be clear but short with details.
Search for that type of information which is legal or authentic.
Be specific and write an inquiry letter precisely.
Have you ever written an inquiry letter to seek any information?
Finally, share your feedback and put your comments in the box.